Monday, September 24, 2012

Chikwina Health Center Gets Solar!



About two months ago we had a health center staff meeting, where the Nurse talked about how difficult it was to deliver babies in the middle of the night with only flashlights and candles for light.  Someone (I think Chitani) said they already had a 50W solar panel that they would give to the health center if we bought the rest of the equipment we needed.  No problem!

Friends of Malawi is an organization of returned volunteers and government workers from all over the world who used to work in Malawi, and they have a lot of money.  They give grants of up to $500.  We only needed about $350 to get our solar up and running, and thankfully, they approved my grant I sent to them that said as much!  Once they sent the money, Mr. Phiri and I wasted no time in going to Mzuzu to pick up our supplies.  Lights were switched on for the first time 24 hours later!  We win!  It’s the first legitimate lasting thing I’ve done out here!  I’m sure the parents would disagree with that, but it IS really nice to have a physical manifestation of my efforts.

If you haven’t seen the pictures on facebook yet:

Health Center during the day
Health Center at night, pre-lights (with a camera flash)
Health Center at night WITH lights!
Electrician hooking us up!
Day...
and night!
Our first patient treated under the lights! Gracious got a little
excited when he heard I was taking pictures and fell over a rock
running over.
Medical Assistant is open for business!

No comments:

Post a Comment