Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I-Spy-An-Elephant (Nov 6)


Our second official task at the Game Count was a two-hour hide. On our second morning in Liwonde they drove Rob and I out to the river where we sat relatively hidden in a bushy area to count the game that came to hang out near us. We requested to be in the elephant zone. I was determined to I-Spy-An-Elephant. Actually, the ride out was the best part. At one point we had a monkey trying to race our car, we saw a herds of buffalo and waterbuck and mpala and warthogs. Oh! And baby warthogs! Surprisingly adorable, considering they grow up to be beastly. I had the line from The Lion King’s Hakunna Matata “when I was a young warthoooooog” stuck in my head all morning. We all saw reedbacks jumping ridiculous heights through fallen trees. It was so cool, those reedbacks! It was Planet Earth but for real!

The actual hide part was relatively uneventful. The area was beautiful, but after a night of not sleeping (hot season seems to be taking revenge on Liwonde at night, no one could sleep), it was hard to stay attentive. But we DID see two elephants come out from the trees on the other side of the river to splash around. They were super far away and we could only really see what they were doing through binoculars. But it was still cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment