Thursday, August 25, 2011

6 Month Bash and More Updates (Aug 12-24)

Don't have a lot of time, so here it is in list form going backwards:

Today - Loaded up the dumb dog in a tiny car filled with people to get nutered in Mzuzu because he's the worst dog in the world (still like him, though), and maybe after a little castration action he'll be better behaved. Unfortunately, no general anesthesia, so that's a waste. Brought my trekking backpack so I could stock up on food though. Three packages in the mail today!! Thanks mom, dad, and Elinor Noble!!! Also letter from the Rider family, Mac Isseks, and Rachel Harris! I struck big!!!

Last Week (Aug 18-whatever) - Came home from party at Rob's a little less than excite to be back at site. I was on such a role all through August and had a hard time picking it back up again after a week off. The Chivute garden group is going SO WELL!!! THey took my to their garden the other day and were so proud to show off what they've done so far. I'm so impressed with them and their initiative. The Wadenya group, not so much. I read over the first draft of their proposal expecting them to ask for maybe 30,000mkw to start their garden. Nope, 150,000mkw, which is equivilent to about $1000US. THey're just trying to take advantage of the whole thing. I don't appreciate that. What do you need 10 watering cans for??? The Chivute group has their garden already going and all they did was raise 200kw membership fees. Don't be dumb, Wadenya. I start teaching Math and Bio for freshman and juniors in like a week. I was only planning on teaching 2hrs, 3 days a week, but SOMEHOW the headmaster got me to agree to 3 to 4 hours of instruction. I don't know if I'll be able to keep it up all year. I'll see how this term goes, but its not my job, I'm just volunteering. I'm worried that that amout of teaching commitment will detract way to much from my primary work. I think the headmaster knows that too, so he made it really hard to say no. hmm...

The week before (12-18) - 6 Month Mark slash Christian's Birthday Bash at Rob's site. It was AWESOME! Two days camping on the beach with all my friends, eating cake and roasting marshmellows and more eating! Good times. I'm surprising myself with how well I'm cooking, and cooking for 10 people at a time. My rice and beans are BOMB! and my sweet potato stew is like whoa! Met "New Melissa". She's the new education volunteer replacing my friend Melissa Small in Chintheche. I like her! She's gonna bring a nice dose of normal to our Tonga Time group.

Protest's rescheduled to next month, Sept 21 or something. Time's up! Happy birthday, mom!

1 comment:

  1. Keep those post coming...love hearing about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete