Friday, April 20, 2012

Twenty-four

It’s not just the number of hours in a day or the name of the hit action/drama television
show, it’s my new age! Twenty-four years old today. Also, its tax day, so be sure to get
those in. I was planning to spend today with friends in Mzuzu and then go dive at Kande, but with Bingu’s body flying back from South Africa travel plans got derailed. Peace Corps has put us all under house arrest, just in case Malawi spontaneously combusts during the former president’s funeral. So instead, I’m home with my four-legged family, cleaning the house and preparing for the new school term, which starts tomorrow. We are happily curled up together on the couch sharing crackers and a can of Easy Cheese. They LOVE Easy Cheese.

In case you’re wondering, 24 feels a lot like 23, which felt a lot like 22. I wonder when it starts feeling like anything else. Not that I’m super anxious to find out. I’m good ending the aging process in my early twenties. Usually on my birthday I’ll send my mom a little something. I think people’s birthdays should really about the mommies. They’re the ones who really have something to celebrate and be recognized for. It’s the anniversary of them being in labor for hours, popping out a bowling ball, and then being responsible for whatever comes out. They’re the ones who did the birthing and the years of raising. 24 years ago (and for many subsequent years) I didn’t really contribute much. Last year I was able to get flowers delivered to Mom’s office with love from Africa. This year, Bingu died, so, thanks a lot, Bingu. Happy day of birthing, Mom! I appreciate it!

That being said, shout out to Katie, Heather, and Blinn Rider for the birthday package. Thanks so much!!! I’ve been nom’ing on the candy all day. Once the neighborhood kids figured out how to unwrap the butterscotch candies they were nom’ing too. Initially they were just sticking them straight in their mouths, looking at each other with confusion. “Does this taste like plastic to you? It tastes like plastic to me.” Adorable. The cat and dog have traded each other the toys you sent them. Doug is scared shitless of the squeaky stuffed monkey chew toy but loves the cat’s catnip mouse. He carries it around in his mouth. Kitty sniffed the catnip mouse once disdainfully and went to snuggle with the monkey. But really she just wants to play in the cardboard box. It was a big hit all around. And happy birthday to Katie tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment