Friday, July 15, 2011

Save Some for the Fishies - The Unfortunately Overlooked Drinking Problem

To be read after previous post.

Here’s something I CAN mention in some detail about Malawian culture that is just ridiculous. The DRINKING! In Malawi, the severe and crippling drinking problem rampant among men is completely overlooked and considered a non-issue. Apparently, the government does not recognize drinking as a problem and thus provide zero support or programs related to rehabilitating out-of-control drinkers. And to make matters worse, the culture of family support and the what’s-mine-is-your’s noise just enables alcoholics. Families are required to take care of all family members and so drinkers are rarely turned out and are always taken care of.

My friend and fellow GADster, Renee, and I really want to do something with this issue because we think its so ridiculous. I’ve talked with a few of my Malawian friends about what they think about the drinking issue and they all agree that it is definitely an issue. But when I ask about how to stop it, one woman, who I freaking LOVE, Mrs. Ngoma, in Robert’s village of Tikombo, said “it is just not possible, pass the tea.” By not addressing the issue and with no repercussions of being a raging alcoholic, there is no reason to stop drinking. In America, the AA program works because the people have hit rock-bottom. They have lost all their friends, their families have left them, they have no money and can’t keep a job. These things just don’t happen in Malawi. Their families have to keep them and there are no jobs to begin with. Why quit when you can stay drunk?

I just met the first person I’ve heard of in Malawi to quit drinking this week during GAD camp. He is Sheriff and he quit drinking soon after he got married and spent his whole paycheck on booze, resulting in his wife leaving him for a few days. I was dying to ask him how he did it, but there was no time. I will now stalk his office to get an appointment with him. Apparently there is some anti-drinking organization here in Mzuzu, but I have yet to find them. I also just read an article in the PC magazine about PC Mongolia starting to address a similar drinking issue there with an alcohol awareness week. Renee and I are on it, but before that happens we need to be able to provide information on how to quit and why they need to quit and why it’s even a problem. That Sheriff guy is one-in-a-million, we need to make the issue accessible to villagers. Any ideas?

1 comment: